photo style-4.png photo apartment-chic.png photo skinny-girl.png photo crafty-girl.png photo daily-life.png photo cheers.png

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Strong Opinions {What to Wear}


I work in the fashion industry.  Let me just kill one stereotype of that immediately. That does not mean that everyone I work with is in fact a good dresser. There are plenty of girls in the world whose personal style I respect even if I do not want to copy it. Actually, the older I get the less I want to copy anyone. I have worked to refine my personal style to exactly what I want it to be.  Of course others inspire me but I am not the kind of person who would piece for piece copy anything {let’s be honest, not even a recipe or directions}.  That doesn’t mean you should want to copy me. Do I hope that people {mostly girls and gay guys} think I’m a good dresser when they see me? Totes.  Do I hope some people go home and try to copy me sometimes? Duh, I’m human.



I have strong opinions. I’ve learned this about myself recently. I used to think I didn’t because if someone said “where do you want to eat?” I’d say, “I don’t care.” Well, when I say I don’t care it literally means: I DON’T CARE. If I did, I’d tell you. There are random things in life I feel VERY strongly about. Here’s one of them.

Last summer I hung out in a very tight knit group of people. There were 2 main boys and 4 main girls in our group.  The 2 boys told me and another girl to STOP WEARING maxi dresses immediately or we would literally never get a boyfriend.  Not listening. I am NOT dressing for a boy. Any boy that needs me to wear a tight short dress on a date is not a guy I want to spend any real time with.  I love maxi dresses and on a Saturday afternoon I’m wearing my maxi dress because I want to. Not because I’m hiding my legs {which I happen to like…} from some stupid guy. I’m wearing what makes me happier, which makes me more confident, which is why you wear what you wear, is it not?

I don’t expect my future husband to understand everything I wear but he better appreciate the fact that I will wear it anyway and love me for it.   The only thing that makes me more uncomfortable than Miley Cyrus is for someone to tell me my outfit is inappropriate for an occasion and I need to change.  Are we going to a business thing for your work? Give me guidelines DAYS IN ADVANCE but DO NOT tell me after I’m dressed that you think what I’m wearing is ridiculous {aka you’re going to be embarrassed by me}.  I don’t dress slutty and I don’t dress sexy so that will never be a problem. If you want to marry me, you’ll have to be ok with me wearing what I want at your Christmas parties, work functions, etc.


via {couldn't find original location, if you know please share!}

Trust me, the girls there will be jealous because they wouldn’t have the guts to wear it {even though they should} and as long as you’re not a weirdo about it all of the guys will be jealous that we are literally the cutest couple there. {obvs} I’m lucky enough to have finally found a boy who appreciates every part of me, even the way I dress.  Sometimes I’ll show up to meet him and he will literally say, “You wore that to work? You’re so cool.” The best part is he means it. The first time I showed up wearing something kind of weird/fashion forward and he said that I think I almost cried. This is it, this is my guy.

This isn't just about me. My point is that every girl should feel this way. Are you most comfortable/confident in a pencil skirt and cardigan? Lot’s of black eyeliner and a concert tee? Ankle boots and half your hair shaved off? Something frilly with bows all over it? Perfect. Rock it and rock it proud. Do not dress for a boy or what you “think” a boy wants you to wear. Do not dress for that girl you hate in the cubicle next to you. Dress for yourself and only yourself. I swear to you it makes you a happier, more confident person.  Some of the times I feel like my outfit has gotten the weirdest and no one will understand but I feel like I’ve nailed it and love it, those are the times people compliment you, those are the times you hold your head high and literally kick the shit out of the world for 10 hours. Do that… everyday.

xoxo,
Molly





No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by fabulous k