photo style-4.png photo apartment-chic.png photo skinny-girl.png photo crafty-girl.png photo daily-life.png photo cheers.png

Friday, November 8, 2013

My First Apartment

By {Amy}

I have lived in Chicago now for a little over 4 years.  Through my time here I have always had wonderful roommates.  They are wonderful not just because of their loving personalities and that they are always fun to grab a cocktail with, but also because they came with lots of furniture and everything else you need when living in a space.  Yes I was that roommate who contributed nothing except a really great fur throw. 

If any of you have ever lived in Chicago you realize quickly that you pay a lot for a really little bity space.  The way around that is to have roommates.  You can get amazing spaces for a great rate.  I have lived in two different 4 girl apartments with large bedrooms, multiple baths, and killer outdoor patios.  But the time had finally come for me to grow up a little more and get a place all on my own.  While I am loving the freedom of it, it was a challenge to fill even this small space.


Having pretty much nothing except my bedroom complete, I enlisted the help of someone I trust very much with decorating: my mom.  She has always had an excellent eye for spotting that just right item in the overwhelmingly crowded store.  She is also great at helping me figure out what my style is, and pulling me in when I have a million different ideas going at once. I also took any piece of furniture my roommates were getting rid of.  Thank you Buffy for the coffee table and TV stand!!

So the shopping had to start somewhere. I found this sofa on sale at Macy's and was amazed by how it was just what I wanted and comfortable.  I tossed and turned on many sofa's, even took off my shoes so I could lay down and really get the feel.  You need to have a comfortable sofa.  Then came the accessories. I cannot paint the walls so I needed a big statement piece to take away from the stark white.  When my Mom found this mirror, I was in love.  It also does wonders for making the space seem bigger.   My sister was nice enough to get me a house warming present and got me this pouf.  It is great for extra seating or as an ottoman.  Everything else I have picked up randomly along the way.  I think it was good for me to have a work in progress apartment.  I like picking up little things and pillows here and there.  There is still lots to do, and I will keep you updated with more pics.


4 comments:

  1. Where's the rug from Amy? I love it and am looking for something neutral and geographic for the future living room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got it at Home Goods. The stuff is always changing, but it is worth checking out. They have great deals there too, I believe this one cost me about $120.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how it has come together, well done!

    ReplyDelete

 

design + development by fabulous k