photo style-4.png photo apartment-chic.png photo skinny-girl.png photo crafty-girl.png photo daily-life.png photo cheers.png

Monday, November 18, 2013

30 Days of Fur {The Reason}

By {Molly}




Jumpsuit {Line & Dot} // Vest {Thrifted, Similar Here}

You may be wondering what my motivation is for Movember. You may even still be wondering what Movember is.  In this post I want to clear up any questions you may have.

Simply Movember is setting out to change the face of men's health.  Men across the globe grow mustaches through the month of November to raise awareness and funds for men's health, particularly prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and mental health.  

So, why is Movember near and dear to my heart?  When I was a senior in college doing my final rush week I got a call.  I had received many missed calls from my dad but having to be locked up in a sorority house for 10 hours a day was a little taxing.  Finally after realizing this wasn't a normal amount of missed calls I called him back on a break.

This is when it happened. I remember everything about the 5 minutes that followed. I sat on our back porch and watched the water for the pasta I was making boil over but feeling helpless about it.  I remember feeling like the wind had been knocked out of me. My dad had prostate cancer. Tears started to flow even though I tried to be strong until I got off the phone with him. He reassured me that if you are going to get cancer this is the one to get. Most men die with prostate cancer, not because of it.  This doesn't reassure a 21 year old girl though. 

What most people don't realize is how common prostate cancer really is.  Although my dad reassured me that he would be fine it didn't change the fact that every 17.5 minutes a man dies from prostate cancer. Every 2.2 minutes another man is diagnosed with it.  Men are 35% more likely to be diagnosed with prostate cancer than women are with breast cancer.  

My family was lucky. My dad is healthier now than ever and is adamant about making sure men are aware of the facts.  Other families aren't as lucky.  It's time that we make it something that men are talking about. If you are a man, get tested. It's easy and early diagnoses makes a huge difference. If you're a women make sure the men in your life are aware.

That's why I am wearing fur every day of November. I can't grow a mustache but wanted to show my support. So, I am asking again for donations but not for me, for all the men in my life and the men in yours.  Click here to donate, any amount is helpful and appreciated! 

xoxo,
Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by fabulous k